Hotmail is a discontinued email service that used to have a lot of customers. Even though the service is now discontinued, Hotmail users can still access their email accounts through the outlook. It is true that there is no email service available today that is completely free from technical glitches. Similar is the case with Hotmail. There are countless errors and issues that can result in different kinds of problems. We request you to keep reading this post in case Hotmail not working on your device. Here, we will try to provide you the reason behind the Hotmail malfunctions along with possible solutions.
The reason why Hotmail is not working
It is very difficult to point out a particular reason why your Hotmail account is not working without knowing the exact error. Still, there are some common factors that might be responsible for an issue in your Hotmail account.
- The internet connection you are using might be slow or interrupted.
- Your browser on which you are currently using MS Outlook is not compatible.
The version of the browser is outdated or obsolete.
- There is an accumulation of cache and cookies on your browser.
- You might have installed plugins or add-ons in your browser that might be problematic.
- The antivirus or other security software that you might be using causing the problems.
- In case Hotmail not working on Outlook email client then improper IMAP/ POP settings
might be the issue.
- Missing windows updates can also cause problems like Hotmail not opening, stopped
- In case you are unable to send emails on Hotmail then it is possible that the size and format of the email might not be supported.
- Forgetting the password or entering the wrong password is the main factor responsible for Hotmail login issues.
Apart from the issues listed above, there are many other causes that may lead to Hotmail not working
How to fix Hotmail not working on a windows/ mac computer?
If your Hotmail account isn’t working properly on a windows or mac computer then you may try the following solutions. Please note that the troubleshooting measure that we have mentioned below are progressive in nature. This means you should move on to the next steps if the previous step doesn’t fix the issue you are facing.
- First of all, if your Hotmail email account isn’t working then you should make sure that your internet connection is working fine.
- Then, in the next step, you should check your browser. Make sure that the browser you are using is updated and fully compatible with outlook (hotmail).
- If you are using an old and outdated version of the browser then you must update the same immediately.
- Also, you should clear the cache and cookies of your browser as they might also cause issues in the proper working of a Hotmail email account.
- Remove the third-party add-ons and plugin that you might have installed on your browser.
- To check which add-on is problematic, you should disable them one by one and run your
Hotmail account after disabling each one.
- In case you can’t send Hotmail emails then you must check the format and size of the file you are trying to send.
- It is also possible that you might not be able to send emails because your outlook account is blocked due to sending a large number of spam messages. In such cases, we suggest you wait for at least 24 hours as most of the time these blocks are temporary in nature.
- Those who can’t receive emails must check their filter settings. Also, they should ensure that they haven’t blocked the sender mistakenly.
- In case you can’t use your Hotmail account on other third-party email clients like
thunderbird then you should recheck the IMAP/ POP settings. You may also completely
reconfigure your account.
- If you are unable to sign-in to Hotmail then you must check the password you are entering. Ensure that you are not making any typing mistake while entering the password and your caps lock button is not pressed. Sometimes, you might not be able to remember what your Hotmail password was. In this kind of situation, you should reset Hotmail password. Remember, to reset your password, you must have a password recovery option added to your account.
Easy steps to fix Hotmail not working on android or iPhone
The steps to fix Hotmail account not working on a mobile device are provided below.
- First and foremost, you must make sure your mobile phone is connected to mobile data or wifi connection.
- Check the IMAP/ POP settings that you might have used to set up Hotmail on your Android/iPhone.
- You may consider switching to POP from IMAP and vice versa.
- Try signing into your Hotmail account after download Outlook app from the Google play
store/ App store.
- Remove all such applications from your phone that might be causing the issue.