iTunes, developed by Apple Inc., allows the users to listen, download and buy music, movies, TV shows and much more. Apple as well as Microsoft users can easily download and enjoy the features of this software in their devices. However, there are certain times when iTunes start showing issues thus creating troubles for its users. The iTunes not working is the most common problem faced by the users every now and then. To help them fix this problem, some easy solutions are provided here in this article.
Reasons Behind iTunes Not Working
Different factors can create issues while using the Apple iTunes service. Some of the major reasons that can cause the iTunes not working problem are provided below.
- You do not have a good internet connection- A slow internet connection can create hindrance in using iTunes.
- You are using outdated version of iTunes- In case the version of iTunes installed in your device is outdated, you might face issues.
- There is any issue with your device- If the version of OS of your device is older, iTunes might not work properly.
- Incorrect setting in the device is also a reason for iTunes not working- Incorrect date and time settings in your device can cause problems with the working of iTunes.
- The problem is with the server of Apple- Sometimes, issues with the Apple’s server also lead to not working of iTunes.
Easy Ways To Fix iTunes Not Working
The users who are facing issues with their iTunes can some basic troubleshooting measures to fix those issues. Below here are provided such measures to help the users in fixing the iTunes not working issues whenever encountered.
- Make sure there is no problem with your internet
First of all, you need to make sure that the problem is not with your internet connection. To check this, try reloading a web page in your browser. If the page does not load, this means that you have internet related issues. To fix the problem with your internet, you can try the following:
- Make sure that your device has an active data plan.
- Airplane mode should be turned off in your device.
- Restart your router and modem.
- Disconnect your router, restart your device and then reconnect the router.
- Run iTunes in safe mode
Sometimes, running iTunes in the safe mode can fix the issues that are not allowing it to work properly. Once the issue is fixed, you will be able to open it in normal mode. To open iTunes in safe mode, hold Ctrl + Shift as you launch iTunes. Once opened, close it and try reopening in normal mode.
- Update iTunes to its latest version
Updating the latest version of iTunes in your device can solve its working related issues. you can either check for the updates manually or set iTunes to check for new versions automatically every week.
- To check the available updates manually: Open iTunes app, click on Help and click on Check for updates.
- To check the available updates automatically: Open iTunes app, tap the Edit option and go to Preferences. Click on Advanced and then click on the ‘Check for new software updates automatically’ check box.
- Fix issues with your device
Fixing the issues with the device you are using can help in fixing the iTunes not working problem as well. To fix the device related issues, follow the steps provided below.
- Update the operating system of your device.
- Make sure that your date, time and time zone settings are correct.
- Check that there is no syncing issue with your device and iTunes Store servers.
- If using Mac device, sometimes blocking by firewall can also create issues with iTunes. To fix this, you need to temporarily disable the firewall.
- Make sure that iTunes is allowing incoming connections.
- Repair the Apple DLL file to fix the iTunes not working problem.
- Check and make sure that there is no problem with your Apple ID.
- Reinstall iTunes in your device
If you have already tried all possible methods of resolving the iTunes not working problem but had no luck, you can try reinstalling it. The steps for the same on Mac device are provided below.
- Go to Finder and click on Applications.
- Select iTunes.app and drag it to Trash.
- Ctrl-click on Trash and then select on Empty Trash.
- Go to the official website www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and click on Download iTunes.
- To start downloading, click on the Save button.
- Once the downloading completes, click on Run.
- Click on Next and then click on the Install button.
- After the complete process is over, click on the Finish button.