Though Gmail has been known for offering massive storage on Google’s server, it’s always recommend to users to have backup of their Gmail emails. If you don’t know how to backup your Gmail emails then here are some suggestions by following which you can do the same.
The instructions mentioned below are particularly written for Windows; however the Linux version is virtually equal.
How to Backup Your Gmail Emails
Before starting the backing up process, you are advised to unhide all of your hidden folders. After doing so, you need to follow the steps prescribed below:
- First of all you are required to download the Gmail-Backup. For the same, you are required to do a Google search with keyword Gmail backup and you’ll find the relevant result at the first. Thereafter, you need to scroll down in order to find out the link for the .exe file for windows.
- Once the download process has completed then you are required to install the Gmail backup by executing the downloaded file. After installation process gets completed, you’ll find a related icon on the desktop.
- Now you need to double click the icon in order to begin the program.
- Now put there your Gmail login credentials i.e. your username and password.
- For server, you are required to enter imap.gmail.com.
- Now you need to choose your preferred backup folder and give it to a name.
- You’ll find the file with title GmailBackup-YYYY-MM-DD.zip. Now the date format will ensure that your backup files are listed in date order.
- It is recommended to create a new folder for the backup files.
- In case you have been using your Gmail account for a while then it may be required that you’ll have to change the date interval for backing up all your emails.
- If you are getting any error message like cannot access IMAP folders then it signifies that your All Mail folder is hidden. In such cases you’ll be required to unhide the folder.